Tell us - #WhatDoYouPreserve
What is the #WhatDoYouPreserve campaign?
Whether you’re preserving priceless historical records or your grandma’s famous chili recipe that you’ve digitized — digital preservation is important to ensure your digital images, videos, files, and more are always findable and readable.
But, what are the digital treasures that you’re taking steps to protect for the future? We want to know what you’re preserving and why it’s important to you. What kind of impact will your digital content make in the future? What is the legacy that you are preserving?
You’re invited to participate in this social media campaign running from October 3rd ‑31st in honor of Archives Month. The goal of the campaign is to:
- Celebrate archives and archivists
- Raise awareness about digital preservation
- Give back to the archives community — your participation counts towards a donation to the Society of American Archivists
“Archives are witnesses to the past. They provide evidence, explanation and justification both for past actions and current decisions.” – International Council on Archives
Your participation makes an impact
Your participation matters. As a part of our celebration, Preservica will make a donation to the Society of American Archivists Foundation’s Mosaic Scholarship in honor of American Archives Month. Every time the #WhatDoYouPreserve hashtag is used during the month of October, we’ll increase the donation!
This fund, “Promotes much-needed diversification of the archives and special collections professional workforce by providing financial support, practical work experience, mentoring, career placement assistance, and leadership development to emerging professionals from traditionally underrepresented racial and ethnic minority groups.”
How do I participate?
You can participate by following these 2 easy steps:
Step 1: Create your post
- Pick an image of your prized digital asset: For example, something that is:
- visually interesting
- rare or unique
- relevant to contemporary social topics
- or whatever is important to you
- Tell us why it’s important: Write a short description (reminder: 280 characters for Twitter) of your item and why it’s important
Step 2: Post to Twitter or LinkedIn
- Add in the hashtag: Include #WhatDoYouPreserve and other relevant hashtags, such as your organization’s hashtag.
- Share a link: Link to your public portal if available
- Tag in others: (Optional) tag two additional colleagues from your organization, a colleague at another organization, or a friend who you want to participate.
Here is an example post for reference:
Updates from #WhatDoYouPreserve
See what others are posting for #WhatDoYouPreserve — explore the amazing digital assets and collections that have been shared so far and become inspired to share.
Why Digital Preservation? Why now?
We’ve all seen the horror headlines of how digital disasters and technology obsolescence continues to erode our personal, organizational and societal memory. Poignantly, just 21 years on from 9/11, we now know that some of the most iconic news footage of this world-changing event has been lost forever. How much of today’s digital record of the Pandemic of 2020 will be lost to us, and our children & grandchildren, looking back from 2040?
Not digitally preserving yet?
It’s easy and FREE to get started. Click here to start future-proofing your most important digital content.